[CentOS] Preferred partition type for raid 5 (SOLVED)

Mark LaPierre marklapier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:38:52 UTC 2015

On 04/19/15 20:05, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 04/19/2015 06:36 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> What is the preferred partition type that I should use for my partitions?
>
> The preferred partition type is 0xfd, but that ONLY when building a RAID
> array from partitions.  When building an array from whole disks (as
> you've done), the partition types on top of the array should reflect
> the contents of those partitions, so what you've got is correct.

I found the item I was looking for:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Partition_Types

"(From the mdadm 2.6.8 man-page) When creating partition-based arrays
using mdadm and version-1.x superblocks, the partition type should be
set to 0xDA (non fs-data). This type selection allows for greater
precision since using any other type [RAID auto-detect (0xFD) or a
GNU/Linux partition (0x83)], might create problems in the event of array
recovery through a live cdrom."

Since I'm not building an array from previously established partitions
this does not apply.

Thanks for confirming what I just found.  I love it when a plan comes
together.

--
    _
   °v°