[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Apr 21 16:40:37 UTC 2015

From: Les Mikesell Sent: April 21, 2015 09:19

> Why do you care about running them at the same time when it doesn't
> take longer to run them all in parallel?  Except I think the root
> filesystem normally runs first.  So you might want to stagger it vs.
> everything else.

I am trying to avoid running them at the same time in an effort to
avoid 70 minute boot times (which is what happened on the weekend).
I accept that fscks are required on a periodic basis and I am willing
to reboot more often to achieve these but I would like to minimize
downtime (during the reboot) where possible.

> And unless you reboot frequently you are probably hitting the time
> setting, not the mount count.

This is in fact what transpired on the weekend and I would leave this
in place as a protective measure.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com