[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Apr 21 17:44:45 UTC 2015

From: Les Mikesell Sent: April 21, 2015 09:54
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to avoid running them at the same time in an effort to
> > avoid 70 minute boot times (which is what happened on the weekend).
>
> How many filesystems do you have?

It varies from system to system but is typically 8-10.

> If you look at ./etc.fstab,
> everything where the final number is '1' (normally just the root
> filesystem) should complete first, then everything with a 2 will run
> at once.  If the other mounts are each on different drive/spindles
> they won't conflict with each other and will complete in the same time
> as running just the largest one of them.   If you are running fscks of
> partitions on the same drive in parallel it will obviously go slower.

I am aware of that. With the exception of /, /boot and /home which are
on one spindle (actually a hardware mirrored pair) the remaining
filesystems are on separate drives (actually hardware mirrored pairs or
RAID 10 arrays). The largest of the filesystems (four of them) share
a common SAS controller, data channel and external disk array hardware
(HP D2600) so running these in parallel might not be as effective as
they could be.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com