[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Apr 27 19:28:03 UTC 2015

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, in english, 'work as a whole' does mean complete.  And the normal
> >> interpretation is that it covers everything linked into the same
> >> process at runtime unless there is an alternate interface-compatible
> >> component with the same feature set.
> >
> > That may be the USA interpretation but on the other, European, side of
> > the Atlantic I believe
> >
> >         "as a whole" means generally BUT allowing for exceptions.
>
> OK, great.  That clears it up then.

Maybe this helps:

The BSD license does not permit to relicense the code, so you cannot put BSD
code under the GPL. This was e.g. explained by Theo de Raath some years ago
already. The result was that Linux people did remove the GPL header from all
BSDd Linux source files that have not been 100% written by the same person that
added the GPL header.

The BSD license permits to mix a source file under BSD license with some lines
under a different license if you document this. But this is not done in all
cases I am aware of.

Up to now, nobody could explain me how a mixture of GPL and BSD can be legal as
this would require (when following the GPL) to relicense the BSD code under GPL
in order to make the whole be under GPL.

In other words, if you can legally combine BSD code with GPL code, you can do
with GPL and CDDL as well.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin