[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:44:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

>> No, you posted some ranting misconceptions about why you don't see a
>> need for it.   But if you actually believed any of that yourself, then
>> you would see there was no harm in adding a dual license to make it
>> clear to everyone else.   It clearly has not hurt the popularity of
>> perl or BSD code to become GPL-compatible, nor has it forced anyone to
>> use that code only in GPL-compatible ways.
>
> Cdrtools are fully legal as they strictly follow all claims from the related
> licenses.
>
> What problem do you have with fully legal code?

The problem is that it can't be used as a component of a larger work
if any other components are GPL-covered.  As you know very well.

> I explained that because cdrtools is legally distributable as is (see legal
> reviews from Sun, Oracle and Suse), there is no need to dual license anything.

Unless you would like it to be used more widely, and available as
component in best-of-breed works.

> I also explained that a dual licensed source will cause problems if people send
> e.g. a GPL only patch.

So, not being able to accept patches from people who aren't sending
patches now - and probably aren't even aware of your work - would
somehow be a problem.   That's ummm, imaginative...

> If you continue to claim not to have an answer from me, I need to assume that
> you are not interested in a serious discussion.

I haven't seen any serious discussion yet.    Maybe we could discuss
how badly perl has suffered from not being able to accept those GPL'd
patches that you fear so much.

> Conclusion: dual licensing is not helpful and it even has disadvantages.

Wrong conclusion.   Remind we why you asked about your code not being used.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com