[CentOS] kernel Panic on desktop

Wed Apr 1 13:54:19 UTC 2015
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I arrived at work this morning to find that my desktop unit
(CentOS-6.6 KVM) halted with a kernel panic.  I am not conversant with
any way to save the console display in this case and there was rather
a lot of text.  I jotted down a few notes and power-cycled the unit to
restart.  which it did and I am using now to compose this message.

The few notes that I manually copied, subject to transcription errors,
were:

 ? pci-configure - slot 0x365.0x420
. . .
 pic (ed. note: transcription error? maybe pci?)
. . .
 pciehpd - Tainted: G   D -------- 2.6.32-504.12.2.el6.x86_64 #1
 panic+0x17/0x16f
. . .
 kvm 2998 cpu0 disabled: perfctr wrmsr 0xc1 data 0xabcd

1. Is there any way to get the entire console display following a
panic as a text file?

2. I take that this points to a hardware issue of some sort.  Any
suggestions as to where I look?

The system has two NICs but one is disused and has no cable.
Following a update last year I began receiving console messages
complaining about this state but ignored them.

Canada  L8E 3C3