[CentOS] Boot Failure [Solved]

Thu Apr 2 20:44:59 UTC 2015
pro alias <proalia at gmail.com>

I writ:
"The latest kernel kernel-3.10.0.229.1.2.el7.x86_64 appears not to like
our Supermicro X9SBAA-F board. It fails on boot with the last message
before panic being apic_timer_interupt ...." <snipped rest>

It turned out that only one X9SBAA box was affected.

Deleting and reinstalling the kernel did not fix the issue.
The problem turned out to be the old "initrd" issue in grub.conf. We have
seen this from time to time on updates in the past. The line:
                initrd /initramfs-3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64.img
was missing from grub.conf. When manually inserted, the new kernel
worked swimmingly. I suspect that this is related to updating grub
either immediately before or after a new kernel is installed. It's just
enough of an annoyance that someone with spare time on their hands
might want to look in it.