[CentOS] install woes

Fri Apr 10 18:25:36 UTC 2015
Chuck Campbell <campbell at accelinc.com>

I'm really at a loss.
I had 5.11 running on this machine, from this physical boot disk, until I
stepped on /bin the other day.

I've tried installing Centos 5.10 and 5.11 to this Seagate 1TB drive. Both
installs run perfectly, but when I try to reboot, grub says
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xee

googling this indicates that the disk has a GUID partition table. This must have
been done by the installer??? If so, why doesn't it get the boot loader set up
correctly?

Sigh,

So stage two of the saga, I thought I would try to install CentOS 6.5 (I had the
dvds burned already). It boots, but claims the install image is corrupt.

I re-downloaded CentOS 6.6, verified the checksums and burned a new dvd set. it
boots, but when I test the media, it says the same thing (install image has
errors). If I try to skip media checks, it just ejects the disk and says insert
the CentOS disk.

I burned a new set of disks, identical behavior.

I downloaded from a completely different mirror, validated checksums and burned
new disks. I get identical behavior.

I'm not sure what to do next, but I need to get this machine back up and
running. I'm thinking of getting a different boot disk to install 5.11 to. I
have no idea why CentOS 6.6 refuses to install.

-chuck