[CentOS] Centos 7 License???

Wed Apr 1 21:40:46 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/01/2015 02:36 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 01/04/15 01:56 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
>> Today I did a yum upgrade to my kvm'ized Centos 7 test machine
>> (perhaps a bad day to do such a thing) and received new kernel
>> vmlinuz-3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64, among many other things.
>> When I rebooted, I was asked to confirm (or renew, or some such)
>> my license.  My LICENSE ???
>>
>> I was booting in text mode and the actions required were
>> a) unfamiliar, and b) hard to understand.
>>
>> As I recall, I had to read the EULA - a worrisomely Microsoftian
>> demand - and accept it.  Of course, the terms were pretty benign.
>> Then I had to continue.  I can't remember the exact language.
>> Of course, now when I reboot, all this cruft is gone.
>>
>> Is this a cute April Fool joke?
>> If not, WTF is going on?
>
> RHEL 7, which is upstream of CentOS 7, has a license component. I
> suspect that given CentOS's goal of replicating RHEL "warts and all",
> this is a by-product of that. When I played with CentOS 7 GUI install,
> the "license" is basically "it is GPL, have a nice day" [ Accept ].

This is indeed the case, RHEL 7.1 requires one to accept the license on
initial boot up.

The package that drives that was firstboot but is no initial-setup.  In
our 7.1503 testing, CLI based installs did not require accepting our
EULA, but GUI based installs do require accepting the EULA before
continuing.

But in any event, both licenses and EULAs are very important.  In the
case of CentOS 7 Linux, this is the EULA:

CentOS-7 EULA

CentOS-7 comes with no guarantees or warranties of any sorts,
either written or implied.

The Distribution is released as GPLv2. Individual packages in the
distribution come with their own licenses.

As you can see, the overall License of CentOS is GPLv2 and individual
packages have individual licenses.

But make no mistake, the fact that CentOS Linux uses open source
licenses is very important.  Without those licenses and adherence to
them, CentOS Linux could not exist.