[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Thu Apr 2 18:28:46 UTC 2015
Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> >> Which, combined with the possibility of releasing multiples per minor
> >> rev and no determinate time frame for the actual initial Centos minor
> >> release, really means nothing.
> >
> > Well...
> >
> > "Always use latest one" *plus* "look for the latest release
> > announcement".
> >
> > Like
> > http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2015-March/021005.html
> >
> > A cross-reference doesn't really seem necessary because usually
> > hardware enablement is additive. Either CentOS is up to the version you
> > need, or it isn't yet.
> >

> > If you really _need_ a specific minor release and want to _stay_ on it,
> > to my knowledge, that's not something CentOS has _ever_ done anyway.
> > You can pay for Red Hat's "EUS", or, I think Scientific Linux actually
> > does keep the ".y" releases separate (but I'm not sure of the details
> > as to how that's implemented).
> >

> That last paragraph is EXACTLY the message we are trying to put out
> here.  CentOS releases are NOT the same as EUS and have never been ..
> yet that seems to be what people expect.  We want there to be no doubt
> on this issue.

I'm sorry, but I think you all have chosen a very poor way to put out a
message.

For me at least, this deviation from both the past conventions, and from
the current
naming conventions of the upstream vendor has real and annoying
consequences.

Soliciting our feedback *before* changing everything regarding release
names would
have been nice.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility