[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Fri Apr 3 13:16:39 UTC 2015
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Thu, April 2, 2015 15:25, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 04/02/2015 01:28 PM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
>

>> Soliciting our feedback *before* changing everything regarding
>> release names would have been nice.
>
> We did.
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-February/012873.html

You mean this?

On: Sun Feb 22 23:19:42 UTC 2015
  Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org wrote:
>> We have also decided to split the /etc/redhat-release link
>> to /etc/centos-release and use that as a way to better
>> indicate what codebase the running CentOS Linux instance
>> was derived from.
>>
>> Examples of what these files will look like in say March 2015
>> ( if .1 is released upstream by then ):
>>
>> -------------------
>> /etc/centos-release:
>> CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)
>>
>> /etc/redhat-release
>> Derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 (Source)

Hmmmmm.  I wonder how the proposed 7.1.1503 became 7.1503 in practice.
 Bait and switch?

Personally I do not care one way or the other what RH tells Centos to
call itself. The priests can decide and the faithful can either put up
with it or change pews.  But I find it somewhat distressing to view
otherwise intelligent people for whom I have a great deal of personal
regard debase themselves with patently inadequate, and frequently
deliberately misleading, justifications for unpopular decisions.

BTW. What happens if a bad ISO gets spun, released and then is
replaced in the same month?  Does it become: 7.1504_a?; 7.1504b?;
7.1504_1?; 7.150403?

Canada  L8E 3C3