[CentOS] Problems with getty and X on runlevel switch [Was: Re: The future of centos]

Wed Apr 8 11:08:19 UTC 2015
David Both <dboth at millennium-technology.com>

The easy way to restart gdm is when you are on the login screen itself or the
desktop simply press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. This works for Upstart in CentOS 6.x
but will not work for CentOS 7.x which uses Systemd. The service command does
not work for gdm. However, logging out of the desktop will restart gdm. It works
for the graphical login exactly like the gettys in a TTY environment.

On 04/08/2015 06:36 AM, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2015-04-04, Bill Maltby (C4B)
> <centos4bill at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 11:12 +0100, Nux! wrote:
>>> 100% with Digimer here.  <snip>
>>> All this energy should be put into contributing towards to the
>>> project, testing, helping out community.
>> Well, I used to agree. But when a bug report filed in December goes
>> untouched entering April, which I don't recall happening prior to RH
>> subsuming the project, it takes away impetus to ever file one again
>> from lowly end users like me I think.
>>
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=7972
> Thanks for drawing my attention to that bug. I encountered it the other
> day after switching from runlevel 5 to 3 (and back again) on a CentOS
> 6.6 machine.
>
> The purpose of the runlevel switch was to restart gdm. Is there a better
> way?

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.