[CentOS] The future of centos

Wed Apr 8 14:08:27 UTC 2015
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Tue, April 7, 2015 12:48, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Seems odd to mention Oracle's name at all in the link without pointing
> out that they have a product very similar to CentOS with the option to
> purchase support.

For what it is worth.

If RedHat (or someone else) offered support contracts for CentOS aimed
towards the more 'self-help' type 'enterprises' then we would likely
participate.

We not prepared to install and run one copy of RHELx simply to be able
to report bugs and get a modest amount of help via online channels.
The administrative burden is simply not worth it.

However, if one could purchase a company-wide support policy for
CentOS based on the number of points of contact at the subscriber's
end, regardless of the number of hosts running CentOS, then we would
definitely be interested.  Again, we are not interested in assuming
the administrative burden of counting hosts on various VM platforms
and physical units as they come and go simply to properly determine
support fees.  But restricting at our end who can report incidents and
deal with the support contractors poses no significant difficulty at
all.

Just a thought.

Canada  L8E 3C3