[CentOS] Problems with getty and X on runlevel switch [Was: Re: The future of centos]

Wed Apr 8 16:02:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 10:36:05AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> Thanks for drawing my attention to that bug. I encountered it the other
> day after switching from runlevel 5 to 3 (and back again) on a CentOS
> 6.6 machine.
>
> The purpose of the runlevel switch was to restart gdm. Is there a better
> way?

Since CentOS 6 uses Upstart as its init system, and GDM is run from an
Upstart service (and not a SysV init script), you can use the upstart
tools to restart GDM.  It's actually run from the 'prefdm' service
(because it could also run kdm or xdm).

# initctl restart prefdm
prefdm start/running, process 29141