[CentOS] install problem

Thu Apr 9 23:12:20 UTC 2015
Chuck Campbell <campbell at accelinc.com>

On 4/9/2015 4:57 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/9/2015 2:44 PM, Chuck Campbell wrote:
>>
>> I don't think this made it to the list yesterday. At least I never
>> saw it show up.
>
> it showed up here.    dunno what to suggest.
>
> maybe install 5.11 on a VM somewhere with the same package set and
> architecture (on the blown system, /var/log/rpmpkgs, then copy
> everything in /bin ?   boot the target system with a rescue OS, mount
> your OS root as /mnt or something, and copy that backup to /mnt/bin ?
>

> this won't be perfect unless you know exactly what RPMs were installed
> on the blown system, but its probably better than nothing.
>
> I dunno.  I think I'd install a new box with 6 or 7, and migrate over
> whatever app stuff you need.

I'll try running the install again. I did this exact same thing a year
ago, and all worked fine. The only difference was that I didn't
partition the disk this time, and I preserved one partition's data. I'll
back it up and just go the whole route with a format and partition in
the installer and see if it works.

It is strange that it finds the /boot partition to get the gtub.conf,
but can't see the initrd and vmlinuz files there...

-chuck