[CentOS] Access Problem after update to CentOS 7.1

Sun Apr 12 23:36:22 UTC 2015
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 16:47 -0500, Greg Ennis wrote:
> On 04/04/2015 04:47 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > This morning I did a manual yum update on our a mail server to 7.1
> > without any incident or problems.  A new kernel was installed, and I
> > rebooted after the update.
> >
> > When I rebooted the machine I could not gain ssh access to it from an
> > external ip address.  I was able to ssh to this mail server through a
> > different machine on the local network.
> >
> > At first I thought the problem was related to the firewall.  I stopped
> > firewalld, and fail2ban, and clear all firewall rules without being able
> > to gain access.
> >
> > I disabled firewalld, and fail2ban.  I enabled iptables and started it
> > without a problem, but I could still not gain access.  I removed all
> > entries in the host.allow and host.deny files, and this did not make a
> > difference either.
> >
> > On one of the various reboots I tried to use the previous kernel before
> > today's update, but there was no success.
> >
> > I can scan the mail server and reach it without a problem from the
> > internal network but I am not able to reach it from outside the local
> > network.  I have the mail server behind a Centso 5.11 machine that is
> > the gateway router for the internal network, and the mail server is nat
> > addressed with it's external ip address to the internal machine.  I have
> > had this configuration set up for over 7 years.  I tweaked the Gateway
> > router to nat address the mail server's ip address to a different
> > machine inside the network and everything worked perfectly like it
> > should, and then re-adjusted the gateway router again back to the mail
> > server and am not able to gain access from outside the local network.
> >
> > "traceroute" does not get to the mail server from outside the local
> > network, but works fine inside the local network.
> >
> > Bottom line, this does not look like a host.deny, host.allow problem,
> > nor does it look like a firewalld or iptables problem.  And it does not
> > appear to be a problem with the gateway server.
> >
> > Is there another feature of CentOs 7.1 that I need to evaluate?  Has
> > anyone else had this problem after the 7.1 update?
> >
> > Thank you for your help!!!!
> >
> > Greg Ennis
>
> Greg, do you have access to a console for that machine .. the mechanism
> in RHEL (and therefore CentOS) to accept licenses changed from 7.0 to
> 7.1 .. before it was all firstboot, now it is a combination of firstboot
> and initial-setup.
>
> What may be happening is that you may need to be on the console and
> accept the license on the first reboot after the update.
>
> We tried to turn this off for CLI only installs, but in some
> combinations of software, you may still get the acceptance screen and
> have to complete it.
>
> We know this is suboptimal, but it is exactly the same is in RHEL .. we
> may try to remove these from CLI only machines in the future.

> Johnny,

> [...]
Johnny,

When I got to the machine, I still could not log in via the gui because
of the known bug with the 7.1 login screen's inability to scroll
multiple users.   After logging in via a terminal interface and running
'initial-setup' I found that you were correct about not having the
license agreed to.  However, after agreeing to the license, it did not
change any of the problems I have had with the second nic card.  For
now, I have just turned off the nic card and have routed everything on
the network through the main card.  I have a couple of other ideas I am
going to try when I get the time.

When I converted to 7.1 from 7.0 I just did a yum update from a remote
connection, and was never prompted to accept the new license agreement.

Greg