[CentOS] Access Problem after update to CentOS 7.1

Mon Apr 13 03:29:00 UTC 2015
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 04/13/2015 11:42 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 18:25 -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 06:33:27AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> What may be happening is that you may need to be on the console and
>>> accept the license on the first reboot after the update.
>>>
>>> We tried to turn this off for CLI only installs, but in some
>>> combinations of software, you may still get the acceptance screen and
>>> have to complete it.
>> So just to be clear, some of us who installed 7.0 servers in the GUI
>> and then carted them to a remotely colo might be screwed if the
>> machine reboots after updating to 7.1?  Are there some files I can
>> touch (or whatever) to prevent this from happening? Or is the best
>> solution to go to the colo and reboot?
>>
>> I have consoles for all of my professional servers, but not my hobby
>> server! Fun fun! And I feel for you guys, given that upstream was the
>> main cause.
>>
>> -- greg

> Greg,
>
> After my 7.1 upgrade the login gui is no longer usable because it will
> not scroll.  However, if you are using a remote connection all you need
> to do is to run 'initial-setup' and accept the license agreement.
> However, be careful.  The first time I activated 'inital-setup' I
> elected not to answer the question "yes" and the machine went in to a
> shutdown and then reboot.  At this point, I wish I had not upgraded to
> 7.1
>
> Greg

Having been a CentOS user since about 5.2 and a list follower also,
please bear with me while I make a couple of observations.
1. The 'nature' of CentOS appears to be changing.

I, and many others on this list, came to use and love CentOS because it
was a server oriented distro and had the lineage of RedHat running
through its veins - i.e. corporate type applications available and
support of LONG TERM stability WITH back-porting of patch updates to fix
security issues.

2. Major version updates, make significant changes to how things work,
minor version updates are simply 'point in time' snapshots to make life
easier for new installations and gaining updates. This no longer appears
to be the case!

Having worked with servers and desktop workstations with both 5.x and
6.x there were very few issues caused by a yum update. Thus one could
confidently do remote installations, yum updates etc. I know this from
experience, operating servers in different continents with no physical
access. The only problems ever encountered that needed physical access
being when hardware problems arose.

3. CentOS install, like most linux variants uses the GPL for most
packages, the acceptance of these licenses never required specific mouse
clicks or check boxes.

Copies of license terms were included with packages but their acceptance
implied by usage. It seems the apple, microsoft, oracle, and google
android "in your face" must click acceptance to install an app or
package have finally arrived to linux distros.

Having only spun up CentOS 7.0 from a live DVD I can make no comments
about it yet, other than it seems from the comments on the list that
both items 1 & 2 above are no longer true.

I understand the idea of CentOS being bug for bug compatible with the
redhat lineage, however it appears that the CentOS single version
release is in fact a derivative of the multiple variants actually
produced and sold by redhat - thus some of the recent arguments about
naming of versions and DVDs lack authenticity.

As is my usual practice, I never install and use a x.0 release for
production - far too many things have changed, dependent software has
not been sufficiently tested and many add-ons are not yet available.
Thus I was awaiting the release of 7.1 to move forward with some
projects, already realizing that the learning curve for this major
release would be longer and harder than previous releases. However, I am
now wondering how to move forward at all as item 2 is a must have for
me, and appears to no longer be the case.

Thus I ask the list - have I missed an announcement about these changes?
are these changes real or imagined?
thanks for your time and forbearance.
Rob