[CentOS] Laptop for CentOS

Wed Apr 15 18:46:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, April 15, 2015 12:38 pm, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Usually works fine, but try with livecd, if possible in shop?
> Thinkpads usually work fine with Linux too.

I for one gave up on Lenovo totally after the started doing this (I paste
our network security group's message with references they gave, do your
own reading and use your own brain). I know this is about what they do in
Windows system they ship, and we all are mostly using Linux or BSD, but
once they started doing such things in Windows, you can expect them done
similar things in BIOS, etc... Just do your own reading and use your own
brain ;-)

<Quote>
We wanted to pass this along to you in case you hadn't seen it:

http://marcrogers.org/2015/02/19/lenovo-installs-adware-on-customer-laptops-and-compromises-all-ssl

/"Lenovo is installing adware that uses a “man-in-the-middle” attack to
break secure connections on affected laptops in order to access
sensitive data and inject advertising. As if that wasn’t bad enough they
installed a weak certificate into the system in a way that means
affected users cannot trust any secure connections they make – TO ANY
SITE...."//
/

The following describes how to remove the superfish adware:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2886278/how-to-remove-the-dangerous-superfish-adware-presintalled-on-lenovo-pcs.html

However, note that removing the adware alone isn't enough.  One needs to
remove the certificate manually.
The following MicrosoftKB describes how to remove a trusted root
certificate from the Trust Root Store:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293819.
</Quote>

Valeri

> --
> Eero

>> On 04/15/2015 01:01 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Dell provides laptops with RHEL ws. Buy one of that kind ?
>> Some quick googles only turned up articles about RHEL on Dell Laptops
in 2012 - nothing with RHEL seems to be current only with Ubuntu 14.04
.