[CentOS] ClamAV reports a trojan

Sat Apr 18 15:16:48 UTC 2015
Jake Shipton <jakems at fedoraproject.org>

On 16/04/15 16:01, James B. Byrne wrote:
> This morning I discovered this in my clamav report from one of our
> imap servers:
>
> /usr/share/nmap/scripts/irc-unrealircd-backdoor.nse:
> Unix.Trojan.MSShellcode-21 FOUND
>

> I have looked at this script and it appears to be part of the nmap
> distribution.  It actually tests for irc backdoors.  IRC is not
> used here and its ports are blocked by default both at the gateway
> and on all internal hosts.
>
> However, I none-the-less copied that file, removed namp,
> re-installed nmap from base, and diffed the file of the same name
> installed with nmap against the copy.  They are identical.
>
> The question is: Do I have a problem here or a false positive?
>
> I am not sure why nmap is on that host but evidently I had some
> reason last October to use it from that server.  In any case I am
> going to remove it for good, or at least until the reason I had it
> there reoccurs or is recalled to mind.

Hi,

I believe this is definitely a false positive.

Our mail server (CentOS 6.6) is reporting the very same "Trojan" on
the very same file. I've already done our investigation and came to
the conclusion it is a false positive based on a verification of files
from RPMDB and also our intrusion detection system has not detected
any changed files in /usr/share/ since before and after said "trojan"
appeared.

Top that with two people seeing the same thing at the same time in two
completely different machines/companies chances are high its a false
positive.

Hope this helps set your mind at ease :-).

Kind Regards,
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
Twitter: @CrazyLinuxNerd
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F