[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Tue Apr 21 10:43:27 UTC 2015
Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de>

On 04/21/2015 06:08 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> CentOS 6
>
> Hi All:
>
> Over the weekend I had to reboot one of my systems and got hit with
> fsck runs on all of the filesystems. I would not mind so much except
> doing them all at once took over an hour. I would like to be able to
> stagger these, ideally only execute one fsck per reboot. I have been
> able to think of two possible solutions but neither is terrific.
>
> My first idea was to manually run fsck on each filesystem, one every
> couple of weeks. That way they will not all come due at the same time
> if we reboot on a regular basis.
>
> The second idea was to set each filesystem to a different random count
> value. This would run the risk of having two or more executions at
> the same time but it would probably not be very frequent.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a better way of doing this?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards, Hugh

Using "tune2fs -c", set the max-mount-counts to a different prime number
for each filesystem. So e.g. instead of having 20 for all of them, set
the first filesystem to 17, the second to 19, the third to 23, and the
fourth to 29. This way, three or more fscks on the same boot are quite
unlikely.

HTH,

Kay