[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Tue Apr 21 16:31:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, April 21, 2015 11:19 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> Thanks but changing the order of execution or executing them in
>> parallel does not help with executing them one per reboot.
>
> Why do you care about running them at the same time when it doesn't
> take longer to run them all in parallel?  Except I think the root
> filesystem normally runs first.  So you might want to stagger it vs.
> everything else.
>
> And unless you reboot frequently you are probably hitting the time
> setting, not the mount count.

How frequently does one reboot (CentOS) Linux? Well, my observation is:
every 30-45 days there is either kernel or glibc update so you have to
reboot. This makes it about 10 reboots a year, so you are pretty much
close to hitting mount count as much as time from last fsck for
ext[2,3,4].

As it was already mentioned: XFS is marvellous. I use it forever for huge
filesystems on Linux boxes. I remember howto by Russel Ingram was titled
"Linux + XFS HOWTO. Linux on Steroids"...

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago