[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Tue Apr 21 16:53:31 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Les Mikesell Sent: April 21, 2015 09:19
>>
>> Why do you care about running them at the same time when it doesn't
>> take longer to run them all in parallel?  Except I think the root
>> filesystem normally runs first.  So you might want to stagger it vs.
>> everything else.
>
> I am trying to avoid running them at the same time in an effort to
> avoid 70 minute boot times (which is what happened on the weekend).

How many filesystems do you have?  If you look at ./etc.fstab,
everything where the final number is '1' (normally just the root
filesystem) should complete first, then everything with a 2 will run
at once.  If the other mounts are each on different drive/spindles
they won't conflict with each other and will complete in the same time
as running just the largest one of them.   If you are running fscks of
partitions on the same drive in parallel it will obviously go slower.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com