[CentOS] How to stagger fsck executions

Tue Apr 21 23:33:43 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 04/21/2015 12:13 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Gordon Messmer Sent: April 21, 2015 10:30
>>
>> Why do you accept that?
>
> Every article I have read on the subject has recommended this a good
> practice.

Not every source is equal.

The maintainers turned that behavior off by default sometime around the
release of RHEL 6 (before the release, but after the package set was
finalized).  Among at least any group I am aware of, ext had been
considered very stable for quite a long time before that, and common
practice was to disable periodic checks.  (As Anaconda has since
who-even-knows when.  WAY back.)

> I have confirmed that filesystems setup by anaconda on both CentOS 6
> and RHEL 6 have both boot count and interval disabled however they
> are not disabled for any manually created filesystems (they are set
> to 24 and 6 months, respectively).

Right.  Red Hat's policy was to disable the checks long before that
default changed in e2fsprogs (in version 1.42).

> . Once disabled, it is recommended to schedule regular "human
>    controlled/monitored" filsystem checks, when it is convenient to
>    do so. These checks should not be ignored, or scheduled too far
>    apart.

CYA?

I'm not aware of such a recommendation in any of their publicly
available documentation.

> This is from https://access.redhat.com/solutions/70531

Can't access it, myself.  My university has a site license for RHEL, but
it doesn't give me access to the KB.