[CentOS] (Solved: nouveau driver is the source of kworker issue) Centos 7 kworker uses 100% of single core on mulit-core processor usage inquiry

Wed Apr 22 13:43:10 UTC 2015
Martes <mailinglistmember at mgwigglesworth.net>

Greetings everyone.

I ran the cat on the proc files for the reference pid before I sent the first email, however here it is, since I never listed the contents.

 sudo cat /proc/91/stack
[<ffffffffffffffff>] 0xffffffffffffffff

And when following the information from the closed bugzilla debug info, I get the following:

cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe |grep cpu=7
kworker/7:1-91    [007] d.s. 211349.026006: workqueue_queue_work: work struct=ffff88083edcfff0 function=cs_dbs_timer workqueue=ffff88081e008c00 req_cpu=7 cpu=7
     kworker/7:1-91    [007] d... 211349.123123: workqueue_queue_work: work struct=ffff88080e2ba2f8 function=nouveau_connector_hotplug_work [nouveau] workqueue=ffff88081e008c00 req_cpu=5120 cpu=7
     kworker/7:1-91    [007] d.h. 211349.123156: workqueue_queue_work: work struct=ffff88080e30e448 function=nvkm_connector_hpd_work [nouveau] workqueue=ffff88081e008c00 req_cpu=5120 cpu=7

These messages are cyclically printed to the trace_pipe file, in this order.

I figured that this may be sourced within the fact that the nouveau driver is being used, instead of the NVidia drivers I was using last fall while doing CUDA research.

I had a Titan in there, and have reverted back to a more basic card, just prior to the water cooler dying.

I re-installed the newest NVidia driver from nvidia and the kworker issue disappears.

However, true to Linux form, this action has somehow screwed up my GUI experience, causing 1) the graphic window manager fails to start, and just sits there in the text based startup screan saying it is trying to start GNOME Login Manager, etc.. 2) If I remove GNOME and reinstall KDE you boot into a text based login, and once in there you can startx and KDE will start, but as soon as I try to open firefox the GUI dies, and the messages say something about a ksmserver not being accessible, etc...

However, with KDE running, I have full access to the NVidia management tools, so it was working, with HDMI audio on the second monitor, etc...

So now I have to fix my GUI desktop environment, for whatever reason, however, all basic services are running such as the VMs and DNS, etc...

Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth