[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Fri Apr 24 12:02:56 UTC 2015
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 04/24/15 06:57, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:

> On 04/24/15 06:07, E.B. wrote:
>> I'm sure most people here know about Dash in Debian. Have there
>> been discussions about providing a more efficient shell in Centos
>> for use with heavily invoked non-interactive scripts?
>>
>> With sh being a link to bash in Centos I don't know if it would
>> explode if the link was changed to something else, but at least
>> the scripts we made on our own that run certain services could
>> be changed and tested manually to another shell.
>>
>> Are there other people who have experience in this and can
>> provide interesting guidance?
>>
> Why go to that extreme if you tell a script on line 1 which shell to run it
> will do so.
> #!/bin/dash
> or what ever shell you want it to run in.  I always do that to make sure that
> the script runs as expected, if you leave it out the script will run in
> whatever environment it currently is in.

I'm confused here, too, and this has been bugging me for some time: why sh,
when almost 20 years ago, at places I've worked, production shell scripts went
from sh to ksh. It was only after I got into the CentOS world in '09 that I
saw all the sh scripts again.

	mark