[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Fri Apr 24 12:54:48 UTC 2015
Pete Geenhuizen <pete at geenhuizen.net>

Initially Bourne was used because it was typically a static binary,
because the boot process didn't have access to any shared libraries.
When that changed it became a bit of a moot point, and you started to
see other interpreters being used.

Even though Solaris started using ksh as the default user environment,
almost all of the start scrips were either bourne or bash scripts.  With
Bash having more functionality the scripts typically used the
environment that suited the requirements best.

Bottom line is use what ever script suits your needs just be sure to
tell the environment which interpreter to use.  Personally I never write
a script that doesn't include the interpreter on the first line.

Pete

--
If money can fix it, it's not a problem.
  -- Click and Clack the Tappet brothers