[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Fri Apr 24 18:00:27 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/2015 9:47 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>
>> On 04/24/2015 03:57 AM, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
>>>
>>> if you leave it out the script will run in whatever environment it
>>> currently is in.
>>

>> I'm reasonably certain that a script with no shebang will run with
>> /bin/sh.  I interpret your statement to mean that if a user is using ksh and
>> enters the path to such a script, it would also run in ksh.  That would only
>> be true if you "sourced" the script from your shell.
>

> oh fun, just did some tests (using c6.latest).   if you're in bash, ./script
> (sans shebang) runs it in bash.  if you're in dash or csh, ./script runs it
> in sh.    if you're in ksh, it runs it in ksh.

If I'm doing cron jobs or a top-level control script I usually just
specify the interpreter explicitly like
 cd somewhere && sh some_script.sh
 cd somewhere_else && perl some_script.pl
so it works even if I forget to chmod it executable...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com