[CentOS] CentOS 7 /boot location

Mon Apr 27 03:13:02 UTC 2015
Peter Larsen <peter at peterlarsen.org>

On 04/25/2015 01:43 PM, Devin Reade wrote:
> I noticed that (in a case with a two disk md mirror and lvm), the
> CentOS 7 installer is now placing /boot as the *last* partition on
> the disk.

The position doesn't really matter. Some old bios needed the boot sector
inside the LBA (first 1024 cylinders) - but the partition number doesn't
equate to the sectors/cylinders you're assigning to them. So you may
want to look at the actual addresses for each partition.

> I'm assuming that others are seeing this behavior.  Does anyone
> know why it's now the last instead of the first?  (Seems to work,
> though.)

It should work. My guess is that you may have forgotten to set "force
primary" on the boot partition. Again, grub doesn't care if it's a
primary partition but they usually are created first if that matters to you.