[CentOS] Real sh? Or other efficient shell for non-interactive scripts

Mon Apr 27 10:32:30 UTC 2015
Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>

Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:47:24AM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > On 04/24/2015 03:57 AM, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
> > >if you leave it out the script will run in whatever environment it
> > >currently is in.
> >
> > I'm reasonably certain that a script with no shebang will run with
> > /bin/sh.  I interpret your statement to mean that if a user is using ksh
>
> "It depends".
>
> On older Unix-type systems which didn't understand #! then the shell
> itself did the work.  At least csh did (sh didn't necessary).  If the
> first character was a # then csh assumed it was a csh script, otherwise
> it assumed a sh script.  That's why a lot of real old scripts began with :

As mentioned in the other mail, nearly all UNIX versions did support #! in the
mid-1980s. The only exception was AT&T.

Even the first (realtime) UNIX clone UNOS added support for #! in 1985, but
this support was not in the kernel but in the standard command interpreter.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin