[CentOS] [security] Thunderbird vulnerable to MITM

Sun Aug 23 14:57:35 UTC 2015
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 08/23/2015 07:25 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 08:05 -0700, Alice Wonder wrote:
>
>> Thunderbird has a MITM vulnerability with its otherwise rather groovy
>> auto-configuration feature.
>
>> https://librelamp.com/FooBird#security
>>
>> has what I think would be the easiest solution while keeping the
>> ability to auto-configure stuff.
>
> As for LibreSSL et al, perhaps you could mention all your concerns on
> Fedora ? Its the place where, it often seems, everything in Centos
> originates from.
>
> You will benefit from your own mailing list/web forum. Your attitude and
> concerns are not unique.

I stopped using Fedora because as soon as it was stable it was end of
life and I was forced to install a new bleeding edge unstable version.

I do not like bleeding edge for most things, I use mate in CentOS
because GNOME 3 is not to my liking, for example, and makes me feel like
I am fighting the desktop instead of using the desktop.

I do not know if LibreSSL will ever be part of Fedora or CentOS because
FIPS support is not one of the goals of the projects, but FIPS didn't
protect anyone from the several OpenSSL vulnerabilities that led to
LibreSSL so FIPS is not a concern of mine, but it is a requirement for
some places so I suspect it will be difficult for it to enter the Red
Hat ecosystem.

RHEL packages need to build against OpenSSL to have FIPS and so Fedora
packages will continue to build against OpenSSL. Politics sucks.