[CentOS] why no recent bind update for CentOS 6?

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Aug 4 23:40:40 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 11:30 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> No. Johnny wrote
>
> "CentOS Linux normally also follows the upstream dist tags, except
> " for packages where we make changes, where we use .el6.centos on
> " those to denote we have modified them."

Yes, certain packages have to be modified to remove RedHat branding.
Certain other packages have to be modified to point to CentOS
repositories, etc.  In extremely rare cases there may be a critical
security vulnerability which the CentOS developers feel merits an update
before RedHat release theirs, in these cases the updated RedHat package
will take precedence once it is released.

CentOS is, in as much as is reasonably possible, a clone of RHEL, but it
cannot be an exact duplicate of all the packages.

Peter