[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Bowie Bailey

Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Aug 5 15:12:03 UTC 2015

I am trying to upgrade my system from 500GB drives to 1TB.  I was able
to partition and sync the raid devices, but I cannot get the new drive
to boot.

This is an old system with only IDE ports.  There is an added Highpoint
raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports. I have
upgraded it with a 1TB SATA drive and an IDE-SATA adapter.  I did not
have any problems with the system recognizing the drive or adding it to
the mdraid.  A short SMART test shows no errors.

Partitions:
Disk /dev/hdg: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdg1               1          25      200781   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdg2              26      121537   976045140   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdg3          121538      121601      514080   fd  Linux raid
autodetect

Raid:
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 hdg1[1] hde1[0]
       200704 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 hdg3[1] hde3[0]
       513984 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 hdg2[1] hde2[0]
       487644928 blocks [2/2] [UU]

fstab (unrelated lines removed):
/dev/md2                /                       ext3 defaults        1 1
/dev/md0                /boot                   ext3 defaults        1 2
/dev/md1                swap                    swap defaults        0 0

I installed grub on the new drive:
grub> device (hd0) /dev/hdg

grub> root (hd0,0)
  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

grub> setup (hd0)
  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
  Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
  Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
  Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
  Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
  Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.

But when I attempt to boot from the drive (with or without the other
drive connected and in either IDE connector on the Highpoint card), it
fails.  Grub attempts to boot, but the last thing I see after the bios
is the line "GRUB Loading stage 1.5", then the screen goes black, the
system speaker beeps, and the machine reboots.  This will continue as
long as I let it.  As soon as I switch the boot drive back to the
original hard drive, It boots up normally.

I also tried installing grub as (hd1) with the same results.

A few Google searches haven't turned up any hits with this particular
problem and all of the similar problems have been with Ubuntu and grub2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Bowie