[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Aug 5 20:40:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Dumb thought: I don't remember how, other than from a grub menu, but I'm
> pretty sure there's a way to default boot into a grub shell. Once there,
> you can see, using file completion, the drives, and where your initrd is.

It's definitely not an initrd problem. a.) the failure happens before
the GRUB menu appears so it hasn't even gone looking for an initrd,
b.) the initrd is technically on an array not a device, and as long as
the array is sync'd on both devices, it's the same, and since it works
on one device, it should work on the other and c.) it's v0.9 mdadm
metadata which is kernel autodetect so the initrd doesn't do the
assembly.

I think once the partition stuff is fixed, and synced, then it will be
more reliable to do this because GRUB is after all being pointed to
member devices, not the array.

There might be more luck using this command at command prompt:

grub-install --recheck /dev/hdg

See if that repopulates the device.map correctly. It should use /boot
(/dev/md0) automatically for stage2.

--
Chris Murphy