[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 5 21:00:37 UTC 2015

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 8/5/2015 3:59 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Dumb thought: I don't remember how, other than from a grub menu, but I'm
>> pretty sure there's a way to default boot into a grub shell. Once there,
>> you can see, using file completion, the drives, and where your initrd
>> is.
>
> Good thought.  I went into the grub.conf, commented out the "hiddenmenu"
> option and increased the timeout to 10 seconds.  This works if I boot
> from the original drive, but it doesn't help with the new drive.  It's
> not getting that far.

I *think* what you may have to do is:
  1. use mdadm to remove the new drive from the RAID.
  2. use it to create a new md drive with *just* the new drive.
  3. copy from the remaining old RAID drive to the new.
  4. remove the old RAID drive, then put in a new large drive.
  5. add the new drive to the new array.

       mark