[CentOS] Skype on CentOS

Andrew Daviel

advax at triumf.ca
Thu Aug 6 00:06:09 UTC 2015

I have Skype 2.1.0 running on CentOS 5, but it does not
support video.

At various times I have tried to install or run more recent versions on
CentOS 5 and CentOS 6, but generally they fail for some reason, e.g.
library requirements.

We would like to run Skype in some conference rooms, for business reasons
e.g. job interviews where some participants don't have access to more
"professional" solutions, and as I recall Microsoft shut down gateways to
H323.

Does anyone have a good procedure for running Skype on CentOS ?
E.g. does it run natively on CentOS 7 ?
Or will it run with a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as does Mozilla ?
Or will it run inside a virtual machine, or with Wine ?

We have video capture cards using V4L2 that work with e.g. SeeVoghRN,
xawtv and, I think, Ekiga.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)