[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Aug 6 21:11:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/2015 4:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> I'm not familiar with that.  How would I go about adapting the CentOS 6
>>> program.log commands?
>>
>> I mentioned it in the last two posts yesterday on this subject.
>

> Ok.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  Just a couple of questions.
>
> install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 d (hd0,1) /grub/stage2 p
> (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf
>
> It looks like this mixes paths relative to root and relative to /boot.  Did
> your test system have a separate /boot partition?

Yes.

> The --stage2 argument is
> "os stage2 file" according to my man page. Should this be relative to root
> even with a separate /boot partition?

I think it's being treated as a directory because it's going to access
this stage2 file.

> Also, why are the exact same root and install commands run twice in the log
> you show?  Is that just a duplicate, or does it need to be run twice for
> some reason?

I do not know. The whole thing is foreign to me. But both drives are
bootable as hd0 (the only drive connected). So it makes sense that the
configuration is treating this as an hd0 based installation of the
bootloader to both drives. The part were the stage 1 and 2 are
directed to separate drives must be the 'device (hd0) /dev/vdb'
command. Again, I don't know why it isn't either 'device (hd0) (hd1)'
or 'device /dev/vda /dev/vdb' but that's what the log sayeth.

--
Chris Murphy