[CentOS] Skype Issue

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Aug 13 01:07:19 UTC 2015

On Aug 12, 2015, at 8:14 PM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com> wrote:
> [mlapier at peach ~]$ skype %U
> (<unknown>:27070): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "clearlooks",
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

Since skype is a 32-bit package, figure out what files include a file called "canberra-gtk-module*”.  On my CentOS7 system, it’s either the libcanberra-gtk2 or libcanberra-gtk3, but I bet on centos6 it’s just the gtk2 one.  You probably need the 32-bit libcanberra-gtk2 package.  Repeat with pk-gtk-module.

The problem is that it’s not strictly Required for Skype to have the entire 32-bit graphical environment installed, but it appears that it’s necessary to have parts of gtk installed as 32-bit.