[CentOS] how do I stop automount of Hitichi Lifestudio USB drive

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Aug 14 17:39:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015, Leon Fauster wrote:

> Could you provide more context information?
> Appliance setup, Dekstop setup, server setup?
> There exist a lot scenarios where something
> happen automagically?

It's a Chimera Desktop 2014.
More specifically, I bought the case, the motherboard,
the CPU, the RAM and the graphics card from
another poster for the price of postage.
They'd been in or on their way to the trash.
I don't remember whether the DVD writer and the power supply were included.
The two hard drives and the floppy drive
are transplants from its predecessor.
The monitor is of the same vintage.
It's running gnome on CentOS 6.
My current machine and its predecessor were mentioned in a previous thread.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015, Jonathan Billings wrote:

> To disable the auto-mounting of USB disks via udisks, you'd need to
> set up a custom udev rule.  Of course, it's hard to know which
> existing udev rule is catching your disk, as you said, behavior is
> different with an SD card than with a USB disk.
>
> For CentOS6, the udev configuration for udisks is:
> /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules
>
> ... while in CentOS7, the udisks2 udev config is:
> /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks2.rules
>
> You'd put the custom rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/.
>
> These rules depend on the device name, vendor and model ID, drivers
> used, etc.  You'd have to write a custom udev rule either for that
> particular device, or something more generic for that class of
> device.

I've been trying to read 80-udisks.rules with little success.
Would posting it (242 lines) be helpful?
After I plug in a drive,
is there a way to discover what udev rule was applied?

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods