[CentOS] wordpess can't connect to DB but mediawiki can

Tim Dunphy

bluethundr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 17:53:28 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

I'm running both a wordpress site as well as a mediawiki off of the same
web servers. The mediawiki site works great! The wordpress site, meh. Not
so much. I keep getting the common database connection error:

Error establishing a database connection

And as far as I can tell the settings between the mediawiki site and the
wordpress site are nearly identical.

Here's the media wiki config first since that one's working:

## Database settings
$wgLBFactoryConf['class'] = 'LBFactorySimple';
$wgDBtype = "mysql";
$wgDBservers = '';
$wgDBserver = "db.example.com";
$wgDBssl    =  true;
$wgDBname = "jfwiki";
$wgDBuser = "admin_ssl";
$wgDBpassword = "secret";

And here's what the wordpress database connection settings look like since
they are not:

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_NAME', 'jokefire');

define('DB_USER', 'admin_ssl');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'secret');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'db.example.com');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define('DB_COLLATE', '');

/** Contact the database over a secure connection */
define('DB_SSL', true);

I realize that they're not exactly the same. But I think you can make an
easy correlation between the mediawiki settings and the settings for
wordpress. And they look similar enough to think that wordpress should be
working. Right?

The only real other difference is the name of the database each site is
using, which I guess makes sense.

But the fact that medawiki works fine tells me that the user and password
set for both sites has access to the database.

Just for laughs I use the account settings from the wordpress config to
demonstrate that I can connect to the DB on the command line. Again, it's
the same account info that I have in the wik site:

#mysql -uadmin_ssl -p -h db.example.com -D jokefire  -e "show tables" | head -5
Enter password:
Tables_in_jokefire
wp_bp_activity
wp_bp_activity_meta
wp_bp_chat_channel_users
wp_bp_chat_channels

Also, I created a basic php script to see if it could connect to the
database

<?php
$link = mysql_connect('db.example.com', 'admin_ssl', 'secret');
if (!$link) {
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?>

And to my surprise it can't connect!

php testconnect.php
Could not connect: Access denied for user
'admin_ssl'@'ec2-54-86-143-49.compute-1.amazonaws.com' (using
password: YES)

Why am I surprised that it can't? Because again 1) the wiki can connect to
the database no problem. And 2) I can connect to the db on the command line
using the same credentials.

My API Client version is:

Client API version mysqlnd 5.0.10 - 20111026 - $Id:
c85105d7c6f7d70d609bb4c000257868a40840ab $

There are two MySQL databases configured in a master/master setup. The
database address is a VIP that is load balanced on the same two HA/Proxy
nodes. The two database servers are using MariaDB version 10.0.20-1.

There's 3 web servers sitting behind a VIP as well. But to troubleshoot
this I just the IP address of the 1st web server into my hosts file and I'm
using that as the site name.

I'm not really sure how important it is to know all of that about the load
balanced aspects of the site. But I wanted to get those details out into
the open just in case they were important.
Thanks in advance!

Tim
--
GPG me!!