[CentOS] persistent change of max_stack_depth

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:17:13 UTC 2015

On 08/14/2015 07:19 AM, Michael H wrote:
> I have currently set it by running 'ulimit -s 10240' but this does not
> survive a reboot.

It's already been pointed out that you'll need to modify the init
script, but just to make clear why that is the case, I thought it should
be pointed out that "ulimit" is a bash built-in command. When you run
"ulimit -s 10240" you're not modifying the system, as a whole.  You're
only modifying that shell's environment and any child process that you
start from that shell.  Not only does the command not survive a reboot,
it doesn't persist between logins.

And that's one of the better features of systemd.  Because services are
always started by systemd, they don't inherit environment, or process
limits, or SELinux context from a login shell.  If they start correctly
interactively, via systemctl, they'll start correctly the next time the
system boots.  Under the old init system, that wasn't true.