[CentOS] wordpess can't connect to DB but mediawiki can

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 23:32:25 UTC 2015

> "Use" that db and then issue:
>  select * from db where Db='jfwiki' or Db='jokefire' order by Host;

Well yeah. I used the mysql database before I issued that command.

 MariaDB [(none)]> use mysql

Database changed

Then if I run that command for some reason there's no jfwiki or
jokefire entry in the db table:

MariaDB [mysql]>  select * from db where Db='jfwiki' or Db='jokefire' order
by Host;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

For some reason another database I imported to do bacula backups has an
entry in the db table:

MariaDB [mysql]> select Host,Db from db;
+-----------+--------+
| Host      | Db     |
+-----------+--------+
| %         | bacula |
| localhost | bacula |
+-----------+--------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

However I'm thinking more along the lines of my php mysql client having an
issue. Although I'm still a little stuck on why the wiki works without any
problem and why neither my php script nor wordpress are able to connect to
the db. It's really strange how that's happening!

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
> wrote:

> > Date: Saturday, August 15, 2015 17:57:03 -0400
> > From: Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>
>

> >> [this isn't really a centos issue, even if you're using centos,
> >> which isn't obvious. that said ...]
> >

> > Yeah that's true. But this list tends to be rather helpful for
> > general problems that are less specific to centos. Sometimes. :)
> > Really seems to depend...
> >
> > Incidentally I am using centos on all hosts:
> >
> ># cat /etc/redhat-release
> > CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core)
> >
> > OK now that that's out of the way, for some reason I don't seem to
> > have an entry in my db database for either jokefire or jfwiki:
> >
> > MariaDB [mysql]> select * from db  where Db like 'jfwiki' or Db
> > like 'jokefire';
> > Empty set (0.00 sec)
> >
> > Not sure why that would be the case. They're definitely there on
> > this database server:
> >
> > MariaDB [mysql]> show databases;
> > +--------------------+
> >| Database           |
> > +--------------------+
> >| bacula             |
> >| information_schema |
> >| jfwiki             |
> >| jokefire           |
> >| mysql              |
> >| performance_schema |
> > +--------------------+
> > 6 rows in set (0.00 sec)
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim

> >>   < ... snip ... >
> >>
> >> [this isn't really a centos issue, even if you're using centos,
> >> which isn't obvious. that said ...]
> >>
> >> I would start by looking at the access control entries for the wp
> >> and mw dbs, (in the mysql.db table). Based on what you are trying
> >> here, there should be matching entries in that table for the "Db"s
> >> "jokefire" and "jfwiki" (e.g., for the Host as well as the various
> >> _priv fields).
> >>
> >>  select * from db where Db='jokefire' or Db='jfwiki' order by
> >>  Host\g
> >>
> >> There may be something else going on, but without knowing that the
> >> access control is as it should be there's not much value in
> >> speculating.
> >>

> The mysql access control bits are in tables in the mysql db that's
> in your list above.

>   | Tables_in_mysql           |
>   | columns_priv              |
>   | db                        |
>   | event                     |
>   | func                      |
>
> "Use" that db and then issue:
>
>  select * from db where Db='jfwiki' or Db='jokefire' order by Host;

GPG me!!