[CentOS] LibreSSL on CentOS 7

Alice Wonder

alice at domblogger.net
Mon Aug 17 16:11:30 UTC 2015

Hello list,

I've recently been working with LibreSSL on CentOS 7 and I thought I'd
share it.

I would be cautious about using it on production servers, but it seems
to be behaving itself for me.

https://librelamp.com/

I packaged it to install in parallel with OpenSSL rather than replace it.

Apache (2.4.16), MariaDB (5.5.45) and PHP (5.6.12) complete the lamp stack.

With MariaDB I did have to disable six tests in the make test section
that were SSL related, I haven't investigated them yet to see if
legitimate test failures or not.

My main interest with LibreSSL is public facing servers. I have no
interest in replacing things like authconfig.

I have noticed that some of the switches the /usr/bin/openssl command
accepts are not accepted by libressl, some of that may be configuration
file related - it is hard to tell because the openssl.1 man page is
extremely sparse.

But the LibreSSL equivalent is packages as /usr/bin/libressl - so
installing it won't break any shell scripts that expect certain behavior
because they will continue to use the OpenSSL /usr/bin/opennsl.

For example the -rand switch used in the CentOS packaaged mod_ssl post
scriptlet doesn't work with LibreSSL binary.

Anyway I thought some people on the list might be interested, so far it
is working well for me but I would be very cautious about critical
production use.