[CentOS] persistent change of max_stack_depth

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:07:34 UTC 2015

On 08/17/2015 03:34 AM, Michael H wrote:
> the [Service] section -
> [Service]
> LimitSTACK=12288
> By the errors I will assume that it should be in the [Service] section.
> I couldn't find confirmation of this online...

Yes, it belongs in the [Service] section.

$ man systemd.exec
"The execution specific configuration options are configured in the
[Service], [Socket], [Mount], or [Swap] sections, depending on the unit
type."

However, I assume that you are confused because "ulimit" in a bash shell
returns a value in KiB, but LimitSTACK and setrlimit accept a value in
bytes.  That is, you've decreased the stack size to 12KiB, which is why
PostgreSQL segfaults immediately.

# cat /etc/systemd/system/postgresql.service
.include /lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service
[Service]
LimitSTACK=12582912

# grep stack /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
max_stack_depth = 10MB            # min 100kB

# systemctl daemon-reload
# systemctl restart postgresql