[CentOS] C5 recent openssl update breaks mysql SSL connection

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 18 09:27:04 UTC 2015

> Maybe so, but still a side issue. Openssl 0.9.8e was recently updated.
> Some change in this update has broken something. I would like to understand
> what, and so ought the package maintainers. C5 isn't EOL until March 2017.

 rpm -q --changelog openssl-0.9.8e. You weren't clear which version you
 upgraded from, but you mentioned testing against openssl-0.9.8e-27.el5_10.1
 (from March 2014, nevertheless), which works.

 I would hazard a guess that this is the change causing your problem.

* Fri Jun 26 2015 Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> 0.9.8e-36
- also change the default DH parameters in s_server to 1024 bits

 Here's some more info,

 https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2015/05/20/logjam-freak-upcoming-changes/

 RH must have backported this fix to 0.9.8e.

 There seem to be many reports out there that the openssl update broke mysql,
 but unfortunately, at a quick glance, they are all about RHEL6/openssl 1.0.1,
 so you're most likely on your own. I'm quite ignorant of mysql, but it looks
 like you may be able to get this to work again by changing the cipher in mysql
 and regenerating your cert.

 https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-mysql-database-replication-with-ssl-encryption-on-centos-5.4