[CentOS] Grub legacy on Centos 7

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 01:51:09 UTC 2015

On 08/16/2015 04:18 PM, Sachin Gupta wrote:
> We have centos6  server. And we are planning to upgrade it to Centos7.And
> GRUB 2 needs a new bios grub partition. Creating a new partition is too
> much risky. I am wondering if it is possible to replace Grub2 with Grub
> legacy on Centos7 machine?

It is definitely possible to use GRUB legacy with CentOS 7.  I do it on
several systems.  Note that there is a bug in the current EL 7 version
of grubby which causes the initrd line to not be added to the stanza of
newly installed kernels.

Always check /etc/grub.conf before rebooting to a newly installed
kernel, particularly when doing so remotely.  :-/