[CentOS] new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:52:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Marcin Trendota <moonwolf.rh at gmail.com> wrote:
> W dniu 20.08.2015 o 13:26, Mauricio Tavares pisze:
>> On Aug 20, 2015 6:54 AM, "ken" <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the build options for a laptop I'm looking at buying is DVD vs
>> Blu-Ray.  I've never used Blue-ray before, so is there some compelling
>> reason, as a Linux guy, to want to get Blu-ray?
>>        First of all, is this going to be your desktop or a server? If the
>> later, can't see the point for blueray. One of the compelling reasons
>> against is that only movies use it. Second, it has dmr crap in it that
>
> I used to use Blu-Ray as backup device.

      In that case, the concern about drm is null and void. That said,
how did that work out for you? I thought about doing that because of
the sheer capacity but my experience using DL DVDs for backup was not
as good as the original claims. Retention was not good after a year or
so, which led me to use hard drives instead with a slow rotation
policy and keeping hardware to read it (poor man's futureproofing).