[CentOS] Cannot print on Centos 6.7 [***NOT*** SOLVED]

Kay Schenk kay.schenk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:33:57 UTC 2015

On 08/24/2015 08:34 AM, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

>> I just found the problem. The firmware on the printer was from January
>> 20, 2011.
>
> And this morning, it printed one piece of a document, and then crashed,
> just like before.
>
> Sigh. Back to square one.
>
> Gilbert

Having an HP P1505, I understand how frustrating this can be -- mine
uses firmware also. On my last Linux setup, I had to mess with udev
settings to get the darn firmware to load when the printer was turned
on, and make a bunch of permission changes to allow normal users to
"use" the printer including the firmware download and install -- well
actually WHEN I pushed the button to turn the printer on.

When everything worked fine out of the box with CentOS 6.6, and now 6.7,
I considered this a miracle! Anyway, on to your situation...

Ok, more questions.
What's your DM and WindowManager. Mine works fine with an XDG sesstion
and Gnome 2.8 desktop.

Did you install hplip? Did you run hp-setup?
Did you add hp-systray to your startup apps.

Normally, I do not have my printer turned on. When I do turn it on,
there are basically TWO refresh cycles -- let's call them once to
initialize the device to your system; and the second is the firmware
download. If you don't hear that one, your printer is NOT ready.

You should be able to use the HP app to check on status, download
firmware, etc. This should happen automatically once the firmware is
loaded ONCE.

> Gilbert Sebenste
> ********

MzK