[CentOS] Compile for C6 / glibc

zep zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:55:11 UTC 2015

On 08/25/2015 09:02 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> In the hope that some skilled developers are here:
>
> We have a commercial product that do not run under CentOS6
>
> /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found
>
> Is it possible to compile software (compile switch?) on a system that
> uses a newer glibc but in such a way that can be used (executed) on
> a system with an older glibc (like here: compiled on glibc 2.14
> based system but C6 is on 2.12)?

it sounds to me that you're on a path to madness.
if you have a commercial product, you should have support
for that product and follow their guidance on what the
underlying OS is/should be/can be modified to make
your system run.  trying to cobble together support for
a closed source application from twisting and bending open
source things into shapes they weren't meant to hold
is just going to set you up for a spectacular failure when
the wrong OS things get updated, a vendor patch comes
out, or some other very difficult to trace problem arrives.

--
public gpg key id: AE60F64C