[CentOS] /run and /var/run as tmpfs - how many RPM's broken?

Gary Stainburn

gary at ringways.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 08:28:05 UTC 2015

This is pretty much a retorical question, although I would like to know the
extent of the problem and how quickly it's gonna be sorted.

My problem has already been described in a previous post, i.e. clamd fails
after a reboot.

The cause apparently is that /run and therefore /var/run has at some point
been moved onto tmpfs which means that it doesn't survive a reboot.

The effect of this is that any folders (such as /var/run/clamd.* that gets
created when RPMs are installed don't survive, and the first time the server
is rebooted things get broken.

Googling the problem has shown at least a couple of other packages now
experiencing the same problem. including from memory pcp and MongoDB.

(BTW, I'm still receiving emails from that too good to be true young lady)