[CentOS] USB Connected Voice Recorders

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Thu Aug 27 03:37:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 02:18 +0000, Chris Olson wrote:

> We plan to use new digital voice recorders.

> Is this difference in USB connectivity a concern for file transfer to
> CentOS computers?

I have a digital voice recorder. I use it just like a USB memory stick -
although I haven't re-formatted it as Ext3, Ext4 etc. I simply connect
it to a USB port and download the recordings. The device's contents can
be seen in Nautilus.

If possible, and it may not be possible, try to get USB3 compatible
devices. There is now a USB 3.1 standard yet the markets seem flooded
with much old, and much slower, USB2 devices. USB3 is backward
compatible with USB2 and USB1.

USB3 devices have a slightly different USB logo and use blue plastic at
the connections to distinguish it from older USB2 devices.

A device that takes UM3 / AA batteries will record longer than those
using smaller capacity AAA / UM4 batteries. Personally I would like a
recorder that takes Chinese C123 or 18650 Lithium batteries for
significantly extended recording times.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.